God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Genesis 1:27
Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely, and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete. 1 Thessalonians 5:23
We’re taking some time to talk about our basic design. We have already established that much like our Heavenly Father, we were created with three individual components or parts. Our focus today is on the body. God gave us a body in order to relate to our world around us. Our five senses make this possible. Through touch we can embrace and comfort another. Through sight we can behold some of God’s character as it is revealed to us through His beautiful creation. Our sense of smell may warn us of impending danger such as a fire. It can also alert us to impending pleasure such as anticipating a piece of warm apple pie. Taste enables us to enjoy said pie. Last, but not least, hearing blesses us many remarkable ways. Whether it’s listening to your favorite song or recognizing your lover’s sweet voice over the phone.
When you take into consideration all that God provided for us in the way of these five senses, it tends to fill your heart with joy. While it’s true to say that God gave us a body to relate and interact with our world around us, it would be a grave understatement to leave it at that. He truly has fearfully and wonderfully created each of us.
I found some fun facts about the human body that you might enjoy. They were listed on www.factslides.com.
- Your nose can remember 50,000 different scents.
- Similar to fingerprints, every one of us also has a unique tongue print.
- The strongest muscle in the human body is the masseter or jaw muscle.
- Human bones are ounce for ounce stronger than steel.
- Our eyes can distinguish about 10 million different colors.
- If the human eye was a digital camera, it would have 576 megapixels. The iPhone 7, 12 megapixels.
- Your heart beat changes and mimics the music you listen to.
- In a lifetime, your brain’s long-term memory can hold as many as 1 quadrillion (1 million billion) separate bits of information.
- Taking just one step uses up to 200 muscles.
- Without your pinky finger, you would lose about 50% of your hand strength.
And just think, our earthly bodies don’t even compare to the glorified bodies we will receive one day!
For You created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made, your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Psalm 139:13-14